mardi, janvier 31, 2006

For Ginnie.




This morning, I want to tell my friend Ginnie a little story, because I like her very much and because I think she likes stories. It was almost 6 years ago, two weeks after the death of my husband. My daughter was sleeping, it was late but I just wanted to do some housekeeping. Early in the evening I had to change a lightbulb on a lamp, so I went to a small hardware shop and bought two. They cost a lot because they are 50-100-150 watts. So I changed the lightbulb, open the light, and it was working.

Later, when I went in the living room, I opened the lamp and the lightbulb burst... I put the other one I had bought and... it burst too... "Ok, I said to my husband, if you are trying to say something to me, it is not funny." Then, I said to myself that he knew I was kind of fearful so it was not something he would do to me. It was probably my imagination. But my heart was beating so I decided to go to bed and, to change my mind, looking at television. A film was beginning: "The Life of Mother Theresa"! "MY GOD! Is that a sign? I said to myself. Do I have to do like her and go help the people who are helpless?" A voice in my head told me just to look at the film. After half an hour, I was very tired and wondering if I will be able to go through it. Then, the voice said: "It's ok, go to bed, you have seen enough." So I did, wondering what was the message in all that...

The day after, I told to one of my friend a story about Mother Theresa that had impress me. When Mother Theresa began to help the leprous she was giving everything she had: her clothes, her time, her food. So she felt sick. The sister who was nursing her told her that if she wanted to be able to help other, she had to take care of herself also. "Don't give all you have because you too have needs. And always take time for yourself, to rest, or to pray."

Then, I realised that message was the one my husband wanted to say to me. That's why I didn't had to listen to all the film. You see Ginnie, doing housekeeping at almost midnight was not a good idea. And I thought that there was a gigantic message in what I was living, but it was just a little one. Now, I try to be more simple, more humble, and it is not so easy to do ...and I never put one of those special lightbulb again in that special lamp. A good 60W does the job all right!




En français maintenant:
Ce matin, j'ai eu envie de raconter une histoire à mon amie Ginnie, parce que je l'aime beaucoup et parce que je crois qu'elle aime bien les histoires. C'était il y a presque six ans maintenant, une ou deux semaines après la mort de mon conjoint. Ma fille était couchée et, bien qu'il ait été très tard, j'avais décidé de faire un peu de ménage dans le salon. Au début de la soirée, l'ampoule d'une lampe avait cessé de fonctionner alors j'étais allée en acheter deux autres à la quincaillerie du coin. Ce sont des ampoules qui coutent cher car elles ont trois forces: 50-100-150 watts. J'ai changé l'ampoule et la lampe fonctionnait très bien.

Lorsque je suis retournée au salon pour commencer mon ménage, j'ai réouvert la lampe et l'ampoule a sauté... J'ai alors mis la deuxième ampoule... et elle a sauté aussi... "Bon, dis-je à mon conjoint, si tu essaies de me dire quelque chose, ça n'est pas drôle!" Puis, je me suis dis que comme mon conjoint savait que j'étais plutôt peureuse, ça n'était pas le genre de chose qu'il me ferait et que ce devait être le fruit de mon imagination. Comme cela m'avait légèrement stressé, j'ai décidé d'aller me coucher et, pour me détendre un peu, d'écouter la télévision. Un film commençait: "La Vie de Mère Thérésa." "Mon Dieu! me dis-je, serais-ce un signe? Devrais-je partir et aider les pauvres et les opprimés?" Une voix dans ma tête me dit de seulement écouter le film. Après environ une demi-heure, j'étais si fatiguée que je me demandais si je pourrais l'écouter jusqu'à la fin. Alors, la voix a dit: "C'est assez maintenant, tu en a assez vu, tu peux aller te coucher." Ce que je fit, me demandant bien quel pouvait être le message de tout cela...

Le lendemain, je racontai à un ami un épisode de la vie de Mère Thérésa qui m'avait impressionné. Au début de son périple avec les lépreux, Mère Thérésa donnait tout ce qu'elle pouvait: ses vêtements, son temps, sa nourriture. Puis, elle est tombée malade. La religieuse qui la soignait lui dit: "Si vous voulez aider les autres, vous ne pouvez tout leur donner car vous aussi, vous avez des besoins. Et pensez toujours à garder du temps pour vous même, pour vous reposer ou pour prier."

C'est alors que j'ai réalisé quel était le message que mon conjoint voulait me dire. C'est pour cela que je n'avais pas besoin d'écouter le film au complet. Vous comprenez, faire du ménage le soir alors qu'il est presque minuit n'était pas une très bonne idée. Je croyais qu'il y avait un extraordinaire message dans tout cela, mais il était bien simple. Maintenant, j'essaie d'être plus simple, plus humble,... et ça n'est vraiment pas toujours facile. ... et je n'ai plus jamais acheté d'ampoule spéciale pour cette lampe, un simple 60W fait très bien l'affaire...

7 commentaires:

Unknown a dit...

Wow - I love your story and you translate into French. My husband is from quebec and I so dearly wish that I speak more french daily, but it's always English. I'm goign to stop by more often to get back into the swing of things. Great blog Clo!

merlinprincesse a dit...

Je l'ai déjà entendue, mais c'est un plaisir que de relire cette histoire, petite soeur. Prendre du temps pour soi......Si difficile!

Ginnie Hart a dit...

Oh, Clo: I cannot speak because of the tears in my Soul. All I can say is Thank you.

Clo a dit...

Thanks everybody!
Pleasure is mine!

Clo a dit...

The word "amputation" is a very good description of the feeling of loosing a loved one. It was like a part of my heart had been teared away.

A mourning is something you have to work on, whatever the lost is. So I worked hard, I red a lot, talk with very enlighted persons, and life was very good to me.

And you finally realise that the one you love is still living, in your heart, and in the heart of others, in the objects he loved, even in a garden he never saw because you just know he had loved this place.

So yes, probably a little bit more than 60watts... ;O)

Captain Eudoxia a dit...

Beautiful story.

Clo a dit...

prairie girl: I agree with you! That's why most of the time, books about mourning (deuil) use the term "lost", and include in that all kind of lost. So it can be the lost of a person, a leg or an arm, a job, a place. And thinking of it that way is easier to work on it.

jean: Thanks! :O)